Why quantify on your resume? Here’s why…
Read the following bullet point describing a secretary’s duties and form a picture in your mind:
- Answer telephones, file, and word process.
Do you have a picture of this person’s level of responsibility in your mind?
Now, read the following bullet points quantifying the same duties:
- Answer as many as 25 customer service calls per day.
- Maintain and update filing system of over 4,000 accounts.
- Word process all correspondence for 8 managers.
Did the picture in your mind change substantially?
The best way to convey the level, depth, and breadth of your responsibilities to an interviewer is by quantifying each accomplishment. If you can’t think of a way to add a number to your responsibilities, then add a statement of why your duty is important. For example:
- Compile monthly report and submit to manager for use in company’s monthly financial forecasting.
Quantifying makes the difference in an acceptable resume and an outstanding one, so review your resume and quantify, quantify, quantify. If you need any help, just contact us. We’ll help your resume look exceptional!
P.S. Are you in the ideal career for you? Find out if you’re in the right career with our Ideal Career Quiz.