Career Corner: Networking
Networking is still a great way to find a job. Resumes from referrals tend to land on the top of the applications pile and are typically reviewed first. Here are some quick tips for networking in a group or one on one:
- Get clear: Get clear on what you’re looking for. What kind of job or opportunity do you want? Keep it short and sweet so you can communicate it easily.
- Tell everyone you’re looking: This includes friends, family, fellow students – even professors. You never know who might know someone in the field you’re interested in.
- Don’t be shy: Ask for the referral. People are usually happy to help and the worst they can say is no. Remember…nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- Follow-up: Follow-up with the referral offered and the person who provided it. Send a hand-written thank you note to the person who helped you.
- Most importantly, be yourself!
For more help feel free to contact me: Hallie Crawford https://www.halliecrawford.com